Title 1 Information for Hollingsworth STEAM Academy
Parent and Family Engagement Policy 2017-2018
It is the belief of the administration staff, and parents of Howard Hollingsworth STEAM Academy that when parents are present and active in their student’s education, their students have a greater chance for success with the educational expectations given.
This policy has been jointly developed and agreed upon by the administration, staff, and parents of students at Howard Hollingsworth STEAM Academy. The school will convene an annual meeting, at a convenient time for parents, to evaluate this policy. This meeting will be held September 13, 2017. The school’s parent and family engagement policy will be distributed to parents in an understandable and uniform format and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents can understand.
Plan for including parents in the school review and improvement process:
The administration and staff of Howard Hollingsworth STEAM Academy invite all parents through newsletters, the District’s automated communication system, emails, social media, and the school’s Web site to become involved in an organized, ongoing and timely way in the planning, review, and improvement of the school’s Title I programs, School Performance Plan, and Parent and
Family Engagement Policy.
Educational Involvement Accords:
The Educational Involvement Accord is integrated into the registration process through Infinite Campus. Parents must review the Accord prior to completing their child’s registration. Administrators and teachers will have access to the Accord whenever needed for parent/student conferences or other occasions to review how parents can be involved in their child’s education and review the responsibilities of the student.
Administration and staff will:
- Provide assistance to parents in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content and Nevada Academic Content Standards, state and local assessments, the requirements of Title I, how to monitor their student’s academic progress, and how to work with school staff to improve the achievement of the student.
- Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment enabling students to meet the state academic standards.
- Offer parent involvement activities in the school that will include opportunities for parents to volunteer and be involved in school activities:
- Staff development and parent education,
- Parents to provide home support for their children’s education with access to online educational websites that are being utilized in the classroom,
- Parents to participate in school decision-making through participation and attendance at Site Council meetings, held weekly,
- Effective communication between the school and parents through the use of website updates, social media updates, handouts sent home with students, email distribution lists, and the District’s parent communication system,
- Daily opportunities to work in the parent volunteer center with creating handouts and worksheets for teachers of all grades,
- Participation in the WATCH D.O.G.S. program for adult male guardians that offer in-class assistance for all grade levels and security of the school property in between class involvement,
- Daily gardening and development of a gardening maintenance schedule, information on establishing student gardens at home, proper use of tools and healthy eating habits for students, staff and families of all.
- Provide materials and training – such as in literacy, math, and technology – to help parents work with their children to improve the student’s achievement and to foster parental involvement.
- Provide access to educational resources for parents to use together with their children.
- The value and utility of contributions of parents
- How to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners
- Implementing and coordinating parent programs
- Building ties between parents and the school
Coordination with other programs:
The administration will, to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parent involvement activities with other federal and local programs, such as our Pre-Kindergarten programs; as well as with private and community resources and partnerships with Las Vegas Rotary Club, City of Las Vegas, Zappos, Sunset Station, and Garden Farms of Nevada.
The school will conduct other activities that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children. Opportunities are made available during the before-school and the after-school use of the computer labs and library. Our Parent Volunteer Coordinator organizes the school’s volunteers and schedules various trainings throughout the school year.
The school will also provide reasonable support for additional services and parent involvement activities as parents may request. Parents are encouraged to fill out evaluations and surveys and to communicate with the staff and administration of Howard Hollingsworth STEAM Academy.